Home Page

Henry GreenPrimary School

‘Learning Together, Learning For Life’

Children and Young People Disability Hub (The Heathway Centre)

The Children & Young People Disability Hub also known as (CYPDH) is based at Becontree Community Hub, Stevens Road, Dagenham RM8 2QR 


The Children & Young People Disability Hub provides services for families with children and young people aged 0 to 17 years (up to their 18th birthday) with a disability or additional needs.

We provide information and advice on a wide range of issues affecting families through delivery of both our universal and targeted early help offer. For more information on our early help offer, please refer to the links below. They also support families to access specialist training aimed at increasing confidence and awareness in caring for a child with an additional need.

They are based in a children centre building which is currently undergoing some building adaptations to make the centre more inclusive. This will include a wet room and multi-sensory room.

We have access to a secure outside play area with a range of adapted outdoor play facilities including mobility adapted bikes and scooters.

They can signpost and refer you to specialist local organisations including:


Short Breaks 4 me grant

Short Breaks 4 Me is aimed at families that are residents of The London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, with children aged 1-17 years that have a disability or severe healthcare and cannot access leisure activities in the community without additional help or support. For example, they need constant supervision, 1:1 help or have a difficulty communicating.

This may include some children who are eligible for Portage, Early Help or those with an Education Health and Care (EHC) Plan or a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN).

For further information and to apply for the Short Breaks 4 me grant please visit their website.


Carer’s card

A carers' card is aimed at helping parents/carers get recognition for caring for a child with a disability or additional needs, this is valid until their 25th birthday.

The card is transferable so can be used by any person caring for the child or young person to show that they are the Carer. The card can be used as evidence when accessing some Leisure Activities, many Local and National attractions do offer discounts for a Carer.



If you feel your child has a diagnosed disability and needs to attend a provision to support their development and also need a break from your caring responsibilities, you can apply for a short break, often referred to as respite.

Respite can be offered through a request being made for your child to attend a provision of your choice or a request for a carer to provide care for your child whilst you attend to day to day activities which you are unable to complete because of your caring responsibilities.

If you have an allocated social worker, early intervention worker, portage worker or any other professionals, you will need to complete an assessment to determine the impact this will have on your child and your family. They must ensure that their contact details is clearly stated on the form

If you don’t have an allocated worker please complete the short breaks self-referral form. when completing your self-referral and send to You will be contacted within two weeks of your application being received.


For more information on what has been shared above please use the link below:

2 5 4 9 1 8 Visitors